Snowman mashed potatoes are a fun, festive way to serve up a boring side. Serve this fun vegetable with your holiday dinner or as a simple snow day treat. Mashed potato snowmen make eating a vegetable more fun for picky eaters.
Sometime I get these ideas and I can’t get them out of my head until I make it happen, for better or worse.
Like, that time I thought you could turn noodles into bats and carrots into pumpkins for soup – giving you Chicken Boo-dle soup. (success!)
This time, it was making a snowman out of mashed potatoes.
A scoop of mashed potatoes turned into a fun, festive little snowman, complete with a hat? Yes, please
How to make a Mashed Potato Snowman
First thing’s first, obviously make your favorite mashed potato recipe. Next, decide and prep your decorations.
- Eyes and Mouth: Easiest is going to be olives, but slices of bell pepper or carrot would work great.
- Nose: A slice of carrot gets my vote, but orange bell pepper would be a close second.
- Scarf: A bit of chive wrapped around, a slice of roasted red pepper.
- Buttons: Slices of carrot, black olives, or diced bell pepper
- Arms: cuts of bell pepper or carrot work best!
- Hat: A slice of olive stacked under a smaller, whole olive. I used bits of an English cucumber..
Once you’re all prepped, make your mashed potatoes and get ready to scoop!
Use a spring loaded add a rounded scoop to your plate. Add another scoop on top. If your top scoop looks too flat on the bottom, dip your fingers in water and gently round the edges as needed.
Decorate your Snowman!
I added the face and buttons first, then the arms and then the hat but really, the order doesn’t matter. If you’re making a few, I would definitely recommend a production line style t make it easier.
Having kiddo decorate them is a fun kitchen task for kids as well.
Tips for making this recipe
- This is not for wimpy, thin mashed potatoes. You want a thick, stick to the spoon variety.
- Use a spring loaded ice cream scoop! This will give you a round “snowball”.
- If you want, try a smaller cookie scoop and do a ‘laying down’ snowman with 2 or 3 smaller scoops.
- Prep your decorations ahead of time so you’re not rushing to get it on the table after scooping.
Mashed Potato Snowman Recipe
If you enjoy this recipe, please remember to vote 5 stars! It helps others find it, and makes my day!
Mashed Potato Snowman Recipe
This recipe for making a mashed potato snowman is perfect for the holiday season or a blustery snow day.
- thick mashed potatoes
- various vegetales for decoration
Make your thick mashed potatoes.
Using a spring loaded scoop, scoop your mashed potatoes and stack your scoops.
Choos and prep your veggies and add toy our snowman.
Okay, so tell me – does your brain take things in crazy directions? Would your kids love this as much as mine did? Let me know in the comments!
If you enjoyed this, you may also like..
Hehe potato snowman, It’s really looking cute.