These classic rock and roll songs for kids are just what the doctor ordered for your next kitchen dance party! Grab your air guitar and get ready to jam out with these kid-friendly rock songs the whole family will love!
I grew up on classic rock. I have vivid memories of cassette tapes of AC/DC and Queen in my dad’s car and fighting over which we’d listen to first.
My oldest now calls classic rock “Grandpa music” and alternative/modern day rock and roll music “Daddy music”. Mommy listens to a lot of kid-friendly country music, but I still love a good rock out session.
In the tradition of some of my favorite and most popular kid friendly songs posts, I decided to create a kid-friendly rock songs playlist. This is jam-packed with rock and rolls songs for kids and grown-ups alike!
The best classic rock and roll songs for kids
Like with my hip hop songs for kids post, none of these songs have cursing, obvious references to drinking, drugs, or anything deemed not great for little ears. Hopefully, you’ll love it as much as my family does!
- We Will Rock You – Queen. There is one small reference to fighting – “blood on your face” – but this is a fun one for kids to stomp to.
- I’m a Believer – The Monkees. SUCH a happy, dance-y song! If you have Shrek fans they’ll recognize it as well.
- All Together Now – the Beatles. All Beatles songs should be on your list of kid-friendly rock songs, mostly because even ones that reference drugs and unsavory details are so coded kids would never guess. But this one is extra fun!
- Don’t Stop Believing – Journey. SUCH a classic and such a fun one to jam out to, this rock and roll song for kids is a MUST.
- Rock And Roll All Nite – KISS. My only warning with this one is that there’s a small chance your 3 year old will refuse to go to sleep because, well. “I wanna rock and roll all night!!”
- Dream On – Aerosmith. I fell in love with Steven Tyler when I was kid a la “Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing”, but my dad regularly had Aerosmith on our rotation!
- Free Fallin’ – Tom Petty. This will forever be on my “top songs ever” playlists, but most definitely deserves to be on this list of rock and roll songs for kids.
- Rock Lobster – The B52s. Generally speaking, the B52’s are a fun band to listen to with kiddos because of how danceable they are. Rock Lobster is one of my all-time favorites though and my kiddos think the idea of a lobster is hilarious.
- TNT- AC/DC. This one is declaring himself a bad or dangerous man so use your judgment, but my kids LOVE it. Plus, hearing littles scream, “Oi! Oi! Oi!” at the top of their lungs is hilarious.
- Bad Moon Rising – Creedence Clearwater Revival. Like most CCR, this one is a bit rock and rock and a bit country, but it’s still a fun song to sing and dance to.
- Ants Marching – Dave Matthews Band. Not necessarily classic rock for kids, but definitely a classic in my mind! Enjoy your kids trying to mumble through the lyrics a la Dave.
- We’re Not Gonna Take It – Twisted Sister. Again, my only warning is your kids might use this one against you, but hearing your kids sing to this classic is hilarious. Bonus: show them a picture of the 80’s hairband and listen to them giggle over the style.
- Old Time Rock And Roll – Bob Saget. This is my oldest son’s FAVORITE song. I have no idea why, but he seriously adores it. Listening to a 5-year-old tell me “today’s music ain’t got the same soul” is the best ever.
- Eye Of The Tiger – Survivor. The ultimate pump-up song! Teach your kids the Rocky run while you’re at it.
Okay, so tell me – what’s your kids’ favorite genre of music to jam out to?
Got a picky eater?
My kids eat their veggies every day without complaining. Want my secret?
Grab the Outsmart your Picky Eater cheat sheets to get the inside scoop on how to add veggies to food your kids already love.