This Rainbow Vegetable Sandwich is piled high with a rainbow of fresh, colorful veggies on soft white bread to make for a kid friendly sandwich that moms feel good about. Using rainbow sandwich fillings to create a fun and healthy lunch, no one can resist this beautiful meal. We’ve used hummus as glue for this rainbow veggie sandwich, which adds a ton of flavor and creaminess, but you can use whatever is best for you, from mayo to yogurt spreads to guacamole. Don’t forget to layer your rainbow vegetables between slices of thick, soft Old-Fashioned Real Butter Bread for an irresistible sandwich.
Is anyone else totally obsessed with the unicorn and rainbow trend that seems to be never ending right now? As a 90’s baby who grew up loving Rainbow Bright and Lisa Frank, I’m totally here for it. Mermaid, unicorns, bright, happy colors? Yes, please! Even as a mom to truck and dinosaur loving boys, I can’t help but let my eyes linger a little longer on it when I see it at Target.
Always a lover of eating pretty food – probably could have figured that one out by now, right? – I love finding fun and simple ways to make food pretty and more enticing to littles. I know my own kids are about a million times more likely to eat the healthy stuff if it looks exciting and fun.
With back to school on it’s way, I’m sure many of us are trying to think of simple and realistic ways to make fun and healthy lunches to pack up. No worries – I’ve got you!
(This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Martin’s Famous Potato Rolls and Bread. All thoughts and opinions are my own and I only work with brands I really, truly believe will benefit you! Thank you for supporting Morgan Manages Mommyhood!)
I grew up eating Martin’s Potato Rolls and Bread, so I was really excited to see their new butter bread out in stores – and it didn’t let me down! The loaf is super soft, thick slices of decadent white bread that are perfect for piling high with sandwich toppings. I’m only slightly embarrassed to share that I definitely went through our first loaf in less than 4 days of sandwiches, PB&J’s, and grilled cheeses. You can bet that we’ll be adding it to our weekly grocery list!
My favorite part was how much my kids loved it – yes, they love bread and carbs in general because they are totally my children, but even piled high with veggies they’d normally look sideways at, they wolfed down multiple veggie packed sandwiches that were pressed between the soft, slightly sweet butter bread. Magic, you guys.
So magical, in fact, that I wanted to test just how much I could get away with. In typical Morgan fashion, I really went for it
With back to school season upon us, I’m so excited to send the boys to school with these fun rainbow veggie sandwiches.
Tips for making Rainbow Vegetable Sandwich
With so much going on, you’re going to want to take some precautions to make sure this sandwich both stays together and doesn’t get icky on the trek to school. Here are some tips.
- Use the hummus as glue – instead of one thick layer, intersperse it between the more messy layers like shredded veggies to glue things in place.
- Have at least one firm layer – for me it was a layer of bell pepper, but sliced cheese, grilled Portobello, a layer of lunch meat – all would work. You just need something that is stable and will keep things in place.
- If your kids are old enough, a toothpick to keep the vegetable sandwich in place will really help.
- Pat down any “wet” veggies as needed, especially things like tomatoes.
- If you’re sending to school, you might want to skip shredded and stick to slices. Peel long strips of carrot to replace them and use things like zucchini or cucumber.
- Protect the bread with a layer – be it lettuce, a slice of cheese or lunch meat – if it will sit for a bit. This will keep the butter bread soft and delicious.
Simple Rainbow Vegetable Sandwich your kids will Love
Simple Rainbow Vegetable Sandwich
This Rainbow Vegetable Sandwich is piled high with a rainbow of fresh, colorful veggies on soft white bread to make for a kid friendly sandwich that moms feel good about.
- 2-3 tablespoons hummus
- 2 slices Martin's Butter Bread
- sliced tomato
- shredded carrot
- yellow bell pepper
- sliced avocado
- shredded red cabbage
- salt and pepper to taste
Layer sliced veggies and hummus on Martin's Butter bread in rainbow order, using hummus to keep it together.
Slice and serve with chips.
Looking for some different vegetables to add to your rainbow vegetable sandwich? Try these Rainbow Sandwich fillings
- Red – tomato, bell pepper, beet, radish
- Orange – carrot, bell pepper, roasted sweet potato slices,
- Yellow – bell pepper, squash, yellow tomato
- Green – spinach, lettuce, zucchini, bell pepper, avocado, celery
- Purple – cabbage, beet, eggplant, radicchio, red onion
This fun rainbow sandwich featuring soft Martin’s Butter Bread is the perfect compromise for moms and kiddos – the bread that kids will absolutely adore and a delicious sandwich that mom feels good about serving. If you’ve never had the pleasure of enjoying Martin’s until now, I promise you’ll find it jumping to the top of your list of favorite breads – the potato rolls are perfect for everything from pulled pork to sliders to hot dogs. They’re a staple here in NJ!
You can find Martin’s Old-Fashioned Real Butter Bread in your local grocery store’s bread section – my local store has it’s own Martin’s section.
Okay so tell me – have you ever tried Martin’s Bread? What is your kiddo obsessed with right now? Do they like rainbow foods? Let me know in the comments!
Got a picky eater?
My kids eat their veggies every day without complaining. Want my secret?
Grab the Outsmart your Picky Eater cheat sheets to get the inside scoop on how to add veggies to food your kids already love.