Pizza Chicken is an easy, 15 minute dinner for picky eaters. This kid friendly meal uses only 4 ingredients to make a one-pan meal the whole family will love. Bonus – it can be made even healthier with just a few simple tweaks. Add hidden vegetable spaghetti sauce, better for you cheese, and fun, veggie toppings to make a healthy pizza dinner for kids.
While I feel pretty lucky that our kids are decent eaters, getting my boys to eat meat is.. difficult.
Most of the time, I’m fine with it. While meat isn’t required in a kiddos diet, it’s still an easy source of protein and the bulk of most of our meals.
But on days when they don’t want to eat the protein or the vegetable, it kind of makes me insane.
Because of this, I’ve made an effort to find what kind of meat the kids will eat. So far it’s clear the boys love meatballs, ground meat tacos, shredded meats, and cutlets of just about any kind. So long as they’re breaded and fried, of course.
But a few weeks ago, in a fit of exhaustion and defiance, I switched things up. I needed to find an option that would work when Ryan told me for the fifth time that week that he wanted pizza.
Enter: pizza chicken.
Chicken is pounded out thin, searched, covered in your favorite pizza toppings, and baked until melty and delicious. Nom.
I served it to the boys with pasta, similar to how we would serve chicken parm, and they inhaled it. Like, every bite of chicken was gone before they even ate the noodles! For my pasta loving boys, THAT is an accomplishment.
What is chicken pepperoni pizza?
Pizza chicken is the term my 4 year old has given this dish, and it’s pretty accurate. Chicken breasts are pounded thin, sprinkled with salt and pepper. Next, sear for 5 minutes in a pan before topping with pizza sauce, cheese, and mini pepperoni. Pop into the oven and boom: pizza chicken.
How do you cook chicken breast for pizza?
To cook the chicken breast for this 15 minute dinner, you’ll pound it flat. This will make sure that the chicken cooks quickly. Next, sprinkle with salt and pepper before adding to a large, hot pan with 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil. Flip after 4 minutes, add your toppings before adding to a hot oven.
What goes on a pizza chicken?
You can put whatever you’d like on top of your pizza chicken, but we kept it simple and made it a pepperoni pizza. Here are some more options..
- Chopped peppers and onion
- Crumbled, cooked sausage
- Sliced meatballs
- Ham and pineapple
- Extra cheese
- .. whatever floats your boat!
How to make pizza chicken healthier?
- I used whole milk mozzarella which I enjoy more and prefer for my kids, but using a reduced fat option or an organic version would be smart. You could also reduce the mozzarella cheese and use a sprinkle of Parmesan. It has more intense flavor than mozzarella, so it’s a great sub.
- When I’m busy, I use a can of local pizza sauce because it’s easy. If I have it in my freezer, I’ll defrost some of my favorite hidden vegetable spaghetti sauce and use that. That way, you get extra veggies in! We’re not worried about a crust getting soggy here. This means you don’t need to worry about the thickness of the sauce like you would with normal pizza.
- Choose your toppings wisely. I made pepperoni chicken pizza because it’s Ryan’s favorite, but try other combos as well. From turkey pepperoni to chopped veggies, the options are endless.
Pizza Chicken – an easy, 15 minute dinner
This simple, 15 minute meal is a kid friendly dinner the whole family will love. The flavor of pizza to make it a win for picky eaters. Meanwhile, mom will love that this Chicken Pizza only uses one pan, so it’s also minimal dishes.
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 cup of pizza sauce
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese
- toppings of your choice
Preheat the oven to 450.
Heat olive oil on medium high in a large oven safe pan.
Pound the chicken thin, about 1/4 inch thick and season with talk and pepper.
Sear the chicken for about 3 minutes per side or until browned.
Divide and top chicken breasts with sauce, cheese, and toppings.
Bake for 5 minutes or until everything is melty.
Okay so tell me – do your kids like eating meat? What toppings would you put on your pizza chicken? Let me know in the comments!
You may also like..
Got a picky eater?
My kids eat their veggies every day without complaining. Want my secret?
Grab the Outsmart your Picky Eater cheat sheets to get the inside scoop on how to add veggies to food your kids already love.