Pizza Chicken is an easy, 15 minute dinner for picky eaters. This kid friendly meal uses only 4 ingredients to make a one-pan meal the whole family will love. Add hidden vegetable spaghetti sauce and fun, veggie toppings to make a secretly better for you pizza dinner for kids.
My boys are not the hugest fans of plain old chicken, but since it’s a cheap, easy protein, we serve it a lot. This means I need to get creative in order to get them to eat.
Enter: pizza chicken.
Chicken is pounded out thin, searched, covered in your favorite pizza toppings, and baked until melty and delicious. Nom.
I served it to the boys with pasta, similar to how we would serve chicken parm, and they inhaled it. Like, every bite of chicken was gone before they even ate the noodles! For my pasta loving boys, THAT is an accomplishment.
Try letting your kids choose their own toppings for this low carb dinner. They might surprise you with which veggies they choose!
What is chicken pepperoni pizza?
The name is the term my 4 year old has given this dish, and it’s pretty accurate. Chicken breasts are pounded thin, sprinkled with salt and pepper.
Next, sear for 5 minutes in a pan before topping with pizza sauce, cheese, and mini pepperoni. Pop into the oven and boom: pizza chicken.
How do you cook the chicken breast?
To cook the chicken breast for this 15 minute dinner, you’ll pound it flat. This will make sure that the chicken cooks quickly.
Next, sprinkle with salt and pepper before adding to a large, hot pan with 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil. Flip after 4 minutes, add your toppings before adding to a hot oven.
What goes on pizza chicken?
You can put whatever you’d like on top of your pizza chicken, but we kept it simple and made it a pepperoni pizza. Here are some more options..
- Chopped peppers and onion
- Crumbled, cooked sausage
- Sliced meatballs
- Ham and pineapple
- Extra cheese
- .. whatever floats your boat!
How to make this dish better for you?
- I used whole milk mozzarella which I enjoy more and prefer for my kids, but use what you family likes. You could also reduce the mozzarella cheese and use a sprinkle of Parmesan. It has more intense flavor than mozzarella, so it’s a great sub.
- When I’m busy, I use a can of local pizza sauce because it’s easy. If I have it in my freezer, I’ll defrost some of my favorite hidden vegetable spaghetti sauce and use that.
- Choose your toppings wisely. I made pepperoni chicken pizza because it’s Ryan’s favorite, but anything will work. From turkey pepperoni to chopped veggies, the options are endless.
Pizza Chicken – an easy, 15 minute dinner
This simple, 15 minute meal is a kid friendly dinner the whole family will love. The flavor of pizza to make it a win for picky eaters. Meanwhile, mom will love that this Chicken Pizza only uses one pan, so it’s also minimal dishes.
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 cup of pizza sauce
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese
- toppings of your choice
Preheat the oven to 450.
Heat olive oil on medium high in a large oven safe pan.
Pound the chicken thin, about 1/4 inch thick and season with talk and pepper.
Sear the chicken for about 3 minutes per side or until browned.
Divide and top chicken breasts with sauce, cheese, and toppings.
Bake for 5 minutes or until everything is melty.
Okay so tell me – do your kids like eating meat? What toppings would you put on your pizza chicken? Let me know in the comments!