Learn how to make English muffin pizzas for an easy, kid-friendly recipe that even kids can help make. Serve them with your favorite pizza toppings and kids will gobble them up! This is one easy meal you can make on a whim and know for sure no one will argue!
Growing up, I had this little Polly Pocket cookbook for kids.
That cookbook was my FAVORITE. I’m pretty sure it is a huge reason why I love cooking and why I choose to cook with my kids so often.
English muffin pizza – the perfect kid recipe
One of the recipes in this little pink Step-into-Reading book was for English Muffin Pizzas. My brother and I immediately fell in love with them and asked to make them regularly. Partially because they were awesome and partially because we just loved pizza a lot.
The best part about these is that the very basic version uses things you already have at home (probably):
- English muffins
- Tomato sauce (I like using hidden veggie spaghetti sauce.)
Boom – you’ve got yourself a little personal pizza a preschooler can make.
Which brings us to the ultimate question for anyone who has made an English muffin before:
How do you make English muffin pizzas not soggy?
The key lies in the prep and the sauce.
- First, you absolutely need to toast your muffin slowly. This will dry the muffin a bit more and make it less likely to get soggy. Because the muffin has all of those signature “nooks and crannies”, there is just so much room for the sauce to go and make soggy.
- Second, you need a thick sauce. If you are using have jarred sauce or spaghetti sauce, just add it to a pan for a bit and cook it down to remove some liquid. If not, that liquid is going to make your pizza soggy.
- Limit the sauce! I aim for about 1.5 tablespoons of sauce per muffin half. Too much sauce makes for an icky pizza.
Those are really your keys to making a killer mini pizza. Once you have a thick sauce and a crunchy muffin, you’ll just need to make sure you don’t put on too much sauce.
The only remaining reason an English muffin might get soggy is if you let it sit too long. This is why I recommend eating them soon after they get out of the oven.
What to put on English Muffin Pizzas:
Here are some ideas of toppings you can use. Make sure everything you use is on the small side, especially if you want it to cook a bit.
- Ground, cooked sausage
- Chopped pepper
- Chopped onion
- Extra Parmesan cheese
If your kids are a bit more adventurous than mine, you can add really any kind of topping. But again, don’t add too much – 2 tablespoons of cheese and 1.5-2 tablespoons of toppings seems to be the sweet spot in my opinion.
How to make English Muffin Pizzas
Okay, so let’s get to the real nitty gritty- how to make the perfect English muffin pizza.
Preparing the base
It’s a really simple process, but if you do it just right, you’ll have amazing results.
- First, preheat your over to 450.
- Next, separate your muffin with the tines of a fork, and lay on a cookie sheet.
- Pop in the oven to toast, about 3 minutes or until your muffin feels dry but isn’t showing any golden toasting. If you go too far, it’s not the end of the world, though.
- While you’re waiting, prepare your toppings. Your toppings should be smaller. Chop them pretty fine if possible. The pizzas won’t be in the oven that long.
How to assemble English Muffin Pizzas
When your muffins are toasted, make an assembly line of sauce, cheese, and toppings to help the process along.
- First, spread 1.5-2 tablespoons on your muffin evenly, coating the whole cut side of the muffin with sauce.
- Next, add 2-3 tablespoons of cheese of your choice. I like mozzarella.
- Last, add 1.5-2 tablespoons of toppings. If desired, add a dash of dried oregano and some fresh Parmesan cheese on top.
Add to the oven and bake for 5-6 minutes or until your cheese is melted and bubbly.
Serve your perfect English Muffin Pizzas immediately!
Perfect English Muffin Pizzas Everytime
These mini pizzas are so easy, even a kid would make them! Super customizable to what your family enjoys, these simple, kid friendly pizzas make a fun lunch, snack, or even dinner!
If you enjoy this recipe, I’d love if you’d rate it 5 stars!
How to Make English Muffin Pizzas
English muffin pizzas are an easy, kid friendly recipe that kids can help make. Serve them with your favorite pizza toppings and kids will gobble them up!
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1/4 shredded cheese or more
- 1/4 cup toppings of choice
- 1 English muffin
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Separate English muffins and lay on a baking sheet. Bake for 3-5 minutes or until just lightly browned.
- Remove from over and add half the sauce to each half of the muffin before adding the cheese and toppings.
- Return to the over for 5-6 minutes or until melty and bubbly.
Allow to cool a minute or two and enjoy!
Okay, so tell me – did you have a book you ADORED as a kid? I’m seriously thinking of buying that cookbook off of ebay!
Looking for more kid friendly pizza recipes?
Got a picky eater?
My kids eat their veggies every day without complaining. Want my secret?
Grab the Outsmart your Picky Eater cheat sheets to get the inside scoop on how to add veggies to food your kids already love.