Is there a weird smell in your kitchen? It could be coming from your sink drain. Read on to learn how to cure a smelly sink drain naturally!
I’ve mentioned my super sniffer here when I showed you all how to get smells out of wooden cutting boards, and today I’m sharing another stinky spot in your kitchen: the smelly sink drain. Have you ever smelled something in your kitchen and not quite been able to figure out where it’s coming from? Take a big whiff of your sink – yup, it could definitely be coming from there.
Sometimes, food and grease gets stuck in your sink. It can slow down the water draining from your sink and seriously stink up your whole kitchen. Unless you have the perfect drain catch and never ever put any type of grease or oil into your sink (teach me your ways!!) at least once you’ll have a smelly sink drain. So how do you get rid of that smell? Keep reading to find out how to take care of that smell and do it without any harsh chemical cleaners.
How to Cure a Smelly Sink Drain
- Start with a clean, empty sink.
- Boil about 2 quarts of water.
- Once boiled, flush the drain by pouring the hot water down the drain all at once. (Please be careful. Do not dump the hot water in a way that it will splash and burn you.) This will melt and soften any grease that’s trapped.
- Add about 1 cup of baking soda to the drain. I just eyeball it. Then pour about 2 or 3 cups of white vinegar down the drain on TOP of the baking soda. (Also, fill the pot back up with water and return to boil. This is optional. If you don’t want to waste the energy boiling it, you can just run hot water when the time comes, but I find this works better.)
- Let sit 5-10 minutes.
- Flush with the boiling water or run hot water for 1-2 minutes and allow to drain out. Rinse any leftover baking soda down with the hot water.
- To finish, flush with COLD water from the sink for 1-2 minutes.
And that’s it! Enjoy your non-smelly sink drain!
Have you ever had a smelly sink drain before? How did you fix it? Let me know in the comments!
You may also be interested in these posts!
How to Make Your Own Cleaning Schedule
Being a mom is tough - I'm here to help!
Join the Morgan Manages Mommyhood mailing list to get easy, fun kid food your kids will WANT to eat and realistic parenting advice you won't roll your eyes at send right to your inbox!