Homemade popsicles are a fun way to cool down without the guilt when the weather gets warm. Make sure you stock your freezer up with ice pops made from scratch. Cut out the junky, sugar filled, artificial ingredient packed, store-bought pops from the freezer aisle and make these fruit popsicle recipes yourself.
Does anyone else remember eating endless ice pops as a kid? Those juicy, multicolored tubes that you buy defrosted and then freeze them at home?
We ate 3 or 4 of those a day, I’m sure, cutting the sides of our cheeks on the plastic and dripping juice everywhere. My brother immediately claimed all of the blue and red ones while I obviously went for pink.
A better popsicle option
As much as I loved those as a kid, the reality of it is those were very little more than flavored sugar water, right? For my boys, I’ve been on a mission to find easy, homemade popsicles that I can feel good about.
Tips for healthier homemade popsicles
- Make them yourself. By making popsicles yourself, you’re able to monitor the ingredients to ensure you are creating a better for you option.
- Use whole fruits. By blending up whole fruits, you’re not only getting the vitamin of fruits. You’re also keeping the fiber.
- Natural sweeteners. If needed, choose natural sweeteners instead of sugar. Honey and maple syrup are my favorite, but stevia or coconut sugar work as well!
- Make it creamy. Adding coconut milk, coconut cream, whole milks or yogurt will add a ton of creaminess without needing an addition like ice cream. Bananas and avocados will also add wholesome creaminess to homemade popsicles!
- Healthy fats. Add some fats in the form of nut butters, seeds, coconut or avocado. You’ll get a yummy creamy texture without the guilt!
The Best Homemade Popsicles
Homemade popsicles aren’t just easy to make – they’re better on your wallet as well! Below you’ll find some of my favorites that I cannot wait to try this summer!
Fruit Popsicle Recipes
- 2 Ingredient Pina Colada Popsicles. These crowd-pleasing healthy ice pops have no added sugar and take only 2 ingredients!
- Sugar Free Creamsicles. A better for you version of an old ice cream truck favorite!
- Strawberry Watermelon Popsicles. Seriously the epitome of summer, these healthy popsicles only take 3 ingredients.
- Strawberry Mango Chia Popsicles – I love the addition of chia in here – this whole recipe is packed with superfoods!
- Sugar Conscious Fruit and Tea Ice Pops. These use tea which is pretty much always my summer drink of choice.
- Strawberry Cream Popsicles – these are Paleo and AIP friendly!
- Mango Orange Ice Pops – the color of these is gorgeous – and it starts as a smoothie!
- Kiwi Watermelon. Not only do these look delicious, but they’re so cute!
Chocolatey Popsicle Recipes
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Yogurt Pops. Who can say no to this combo? Sub sunflower seed butter to make allergy friendly.
- Healthy Greek Yogurt Chocolate Fudge Pops. Like the fudge pops you loved growing up but way better for you!
- Almond Milk Popsicles. Pssssttt this healthy popsicle recipe is dipped in dark chocolate. It’s all about balance, right?
- Cookies and Cream Oreo. Uhhh, yes please! Like an easier cookies and cream ice cream on a stick!
- Black Forest Ice Pops. Creamy, cherry, chocolate..? These look absolutely irresistable.
Yogurt Popsicle Recipes
- Dairy Free Yogurt and Granola. Who said you can’t have an ice pop for breakfast?
- Raspberry Lemon Greek Yoghurt. These look so incredibly refreshing.
- Dark Cherry Yogurt. Cherry is a summer staple, but I never would have thought to use it like this!
- Chocolate Chip Mint Greek Yogurt Pops. Unique and fun, I cannot wait to try these asap.
- Smoothie Popsicles. This is my favorite hack for making healthy popsicles!! We do it all the time.
- 3 Ingredient Blueberry Yogurt Swirl. These are so simple and you can use whatever fruit your family loves.
- Peaches and Cream Popsicles – it’s almost peach season as I’m typing this and I cannot wait to try them out.
- Kiwi Coconut Chia Popsicles – SO pretty – I cannot wait to try these healthy ice pops next time we grab kiwi.
- Coconut Chia Mango Popsicles – the color of these is amazing – who doesn’t love mango!?
Other fun homemade popsicles
- Rainbow. I’m not sure if I would every actually make these because I am wayyyyyy too lazy but they are so so pretty.
- Creamy Key Lime Pie. Key lime pie screams summer to me – these look amazing.
- DIY Electrolyte Popsicles. Skip the sugary electrolyte drinks and go for these instead on a hot summer day.
- Banana Avocado Popsicles. Avocado in a popsicle? Yup! They look amazing, too.
- Dairy Free Coffee Popsicles. Who needs iced coffee when you can have a coffee popsicle?
I hope that these homemade popsicles give you some inspiration for how to cool down this summer. Make sure if you make them you let me know which are your favorites!
Got a picky eater?
My kids eat their veggies every day without complaining. Want my secret?
Grab the Outsmart your Picky Eater cheat sheets to get the inside scoop on how to add veggies to food your kids already love.