An easy, healthy Christmas snack, this Grinch smoothie is a healthy way to get in some holiday cheer! Your family will love this Christmas smoothie all December long. While the holiday season might be packed with sugar and not-so-good for you options, this healthy smoothie will help keep your family on track and sneak some extra veggies into their diet without getting on Santa’s naughty list.
Smoothies are a staple in my house – if you’ve been reading for any amount of time, you probably already know that! So it should be no surprise that I’ll use just about any excuse I can find to sneak some veggies into my kid’s food.
Which is why I love smoothies – the absolute perfect way to sneak veggies into breakfast without the stress of you know, actually getting a picky eater to eat a vegetable.
When the holidays come, I’m embarrassed to say that I totally am the parent that let’s all healthy practices fall to the wayside – both for myself and my kids. Want Christmas cookies? I’m on it! Christmas movie on? Well, we need rich, homemade hot chocolate with lots of marshmallows and whipped cream and sprinkles, obvi. Hitting Starbucks? Well, tis the season and how can I resist an eggnog latte?
Because of this known weakness, it’s my job to then find ways to balance that. I never want to feel like I’m sacrificing making holiday memories with my kids because I’m so stressed about making healthy choices – not a popular opinion, but I feel like it’s the kind of thing that makes healthy choices feel like a chore versus a lifestyle.
Which brings us to Christmas smoothies!
Sometimes it just takes a little bit of fun to make something healthy or ordinary a little fun, which is exactly what this Grinch smoothie is.
Remember in the Grinch where they say the Grinch’s heart grew three sizes when he saves Christmas? It’s something that kids relate to easily (my oldest knew what this smoothie was the SECOND he saw it!) and it’s super notable. Recently when I was making a green smoothie with a carton of strawberries right next to me, I realized how easy it would be to turn this green smoothie into something extra fun.
I give you… a GRINCH SMOOTHIE! Sure to add some healthy Christmas cheer into you house!
Grinch Christmas Smoothie – a healthy Christmas snack
A Christmas smoothie is a simple way to add some veggies to a festive breakfast or snack – learn how to make it here!
Making your Christmas smoothie:
I used my Spinach smoothie for this, but any green smoothie will do. Here are some things to remember when making your Christmas smoothie for this Grinch smoothie.
- Make the smoothie pretty thick – this will help keep the ‘heart’ in place. Add an extra half cup of frozen fruit as needed.
- A green smoothie – I used my easy spinach smoothie recipe – is going to be the easiest way to get that green smoothie. Keep the fruits light colored to get the most green smoothie you can – I used pineapple, but mango is also great.
- If you don’t want to use greens, matcha powder would be a really easy way to bring a bright green color.
- Another option to get the green color would be to use green food coloring!
Once your smoothie is all nice and blended and ready for your little elves, you’ll want to cut a fresh strawberry into a heart. This is WAY easier than you might think. You want to make sure you use a fresh strawberry since we want it to adhere to the side of the glass with the flexibility.
*If you don’t want to go through the process, you can just as easily add a red heart sticker to the side of the glass before pouring the smoothie into the glass.
Cutting the strawberry for your Christmas smoothie:
I promise that cutting this heart strawberry is super simple – here’s how.
- Choose a strawberry with a point for the bottom.
- Cut the strawberry in half, but don’t cut the top off yet!
- Carefully cut a small triangle into the top of the strawberry.
- Round off the edges to make a heart
- Slice your strawberry so you have about a 1/4 inch thick heart.
To add the strawberry:
Getting the heart strawberry into your Christmas smoothie takes some finesse but only takes a moment to actually do:
- Fill your smoothie up about 2/3 up the glass.
- Make sure your smoothie is on the thicker side! Once the heart is settled in the smoothie, it’s pretty well stuck, but having a thicker smoothie really helps to get it in easier.
- Press the strawberry to the side of the glass, and gently press it down to settle into the smoothie. Make sure you keep the strawberry gently pressed to the side of the glass.
- When the strawberry is settled about 3/4 of the way in, gently spoon the rest of the smoothie over the strawberry, filling the glass.
- Serve and enjoy!
Okay, so tell me: how do you get your kids to eat healthier during the holidays? What’s your favorite Christmas movie? Let me know in the comments!
If you like this Christmas smoothie you may also like..
Got a picky eater?
My kids eat their veggies every day without complaining. Want my secret?
Grab the Outsmart your Picky Eater cheat sheets to get the inside scoop on how to add veggies to food your kids already love.