Frozen yogurt donuts are a healthy way to cool down this summer. As a fun breakfast or as a mid day snack, your kids will love these treats. No more cringing when you hear the song of the ice cream man – you’ll have a freezer full of better summer snacks your kids will love. Turn these frozen yogurt snacks into a fun summer activity by letting the kids take over. With no cooking required, it’s a fun introduction to getting your kids in the kitchen!
Confession: I love ice cream. I spent almost every birthday requesting an ice cream cake – in the middle of December.
There’s something about a cool, creamy dessert that gets me every time. I could eat ice cream every day, every meal and not feel like I’m missing out on anything.
Summer Ice Cream Substitute
Luckily, (?) my kids inherited this trait. Their love for ice cream runs deep, y’all. By ‘runs deep’ I mean my oldest knows that about once a week after the baby goes to bed we sneak out to grab ice cream and bring it home.
The problem is, convincing a 3 year old that no, we don’t get ice cream every. single. day. can be a painful experience to say the least. Which is why I try to have fun, better for you options in the freezer to offset tantrums.
Enter: frozen yogurt donuts.
Frozen yogurt donuts take a typical breakfast staple and turns it into a fun treat that looks like a decadent dessert.
Packed with protein and fresh fruit, these frozen yogurt desserts are both fun and good for you. Mix and match flavors and combinations to find a treat your kids will love.
Combos to use on frozen yogurt donuts
You can pretty much use any combo of frozen yogurt donuts, but these are some of my favorites. You can easily substitute any peanut butter for any other nut or seed butter. Generally speaking, I use plain Greek yogurt and sweeten with honey. Then flavor with a bit of vanilla or cocoa powder, but you can use whatever you have on hand.
- Vanilla yogurt, banana, peanut butter drizzle
- Vanilla yogurt, granola, peanut butter drizzle
- Chocolate yogurt, sliced strawberries
- Peanut butter yogurt, banana, chocolate drizzle
How to make Frozen Yogurt Donuts
I feel almost silly telling you step by step how to make these, since they’re so simple and really subject to personal taste, but let’s do this thing.
- Grab a silicone donut tray. I bought one on Amazon for less than $10.
- Place your “toppings” or add ins in the bottom of your silicone pan.
- Top with yogurt. I suggest Greek yogurt, but use what your family loves best. Don’t over fill as it will expand a bit when freezing.
- Freeze until solid. Removed from the pan and if using, “frost” with coconut oil drizzle. Top quickly with sprinkles and enjoy!
How to make coconut oil drizzle
- Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and 2 tablespoons of nut butter of choice until just combined and smooth.
- Stir in about 1-2 teaspoons of sweetener (I use maple syrup or honey).
- If making chocolate – add 1 tablespoon of quality cocoa powder.
- Add to a zip top bag, snip the end a tiny bit and drizzle over donuts gently.
- If it’s too thin, place in the freezer a minute or two to cool and firm up, though the drizzle will harden very quickly on the actual donut.
Ideas for toppings and add ins for frozen yogurt donuts
- Fresh fruit
- Chocolate chips
- Chopped nuts
- Dried fruit
Easy Frozen Yogurt Donuts
This frozen yogurt recipe is so simple and fun – kids can make it themselves from start to finish with very little help from mom and dad. It’s the perfect healthy recipe for a hot summer day!
If you enjoy this recipe, please remember to vote 5 stars! It helps others find it, and makes my day!
Frozen Yogurt Donuts
Frozen yogurt donuts are a healthy way to cool down this summer. As a fun breakfast or as a mid day snack, your kids will love these treats.
For the Donuts
- Greek Yogurt
For the Drizzle
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp nut or seed butter of choice
- 1-2 tsp sweetener (maple, honey, etc)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder (optional)
Add fruit or granola to silicone donut pan.
Top with yogurt and freeze 2+ hours or until totally solid
Make the drizzle
Gently melt the coconut oil until JUST melted. If it seems too warm, let sit for a minute or two.
Stir in sweetener and nut butter.
Either add to a zip top bag, snip the end, and drizzle over the donuts OR spoon over the donuts.
IMMEDIATELY add sprinkles if using.
Okay, so tell me – what flavor combo would you want to try first? Let me know in the comments!