Diaper explosions happen to everyone, but they can be prevented! Learn why they happen, how to prevent them, and how to clean up a blowout when it inevitably happens.
It’s every parent’s nightmare – you’re out with the baby and boom. Out of nowhere she’s covered in poop all up her back.
It’s a pain, but every parent will experience it at least once. The key is to learn why it happens and how to prevent it! Also, how to clean up the disaster.
Why do diaper explosions happen?
Tips for avoiding diaper blowouts:
Now that we know why they happen, let’s chat about how to prevent the mess. While we can’t avoid every single diaper explosion, there are definitely ways to avoid most.
Make sure you have the right size.
If you’re having blowouts and your baby is on the edge of the weight span, try upping the size.
Another sign for knowing when to go up in diapers is if the tabs aren’t getting to the center without leaving marks. Also, if the back of the diaper isn’t coming up to about ¼ of her back.
Lastly, the diaper should come right up to under her belly button at the front. If these needs aren’t met, try upping the size. That can greatly reduce leaks.
Try different brands.
Even if this brand worked great for your last baby, all babies are made differently! It could be his body shape making for an ill fit. Try a different brand or style and see how that helps.
We love these cute printed diapers!
Put on poorly.
Make sure your fastening tabs are pulled to the center of the diaper tightly and evenly.
Also try running a finger along the edges of the legs. The ruffle should be on the outside to catch any leaks.
How to clean up a diaper explosion
Usually when your baby has a blowout, it’s not at a convenient time or location. This means you can’t readily run a quick bath and clean your nugget up.
If you are, by all means, pop your poopy baby right into the tub and ignore most of this information!
If you can’t run to a tub, here’s how to clean a blowout:
- Remove the baby’s shirt towards her feet. You know how those onesies have a chance to stretch out or have buttons at the neck? It’s not to get over his big noggin. It’s to stretch out over his booty. This helps to avoid getting the ick on the head.
- Wipe down any major issues, like the back and thighs. Do this BEFORE removing the diaper.
- Remove the diaper and set aside, then wipe down everything until clean.
- Continue changing the diaper as normal. (here’s how to change a boy diaper and how to change a girl diaper!)
- Pop the clothes and folded dirty diaper into a wet bag (or plastic baggie) if you’re out and about or the trash if home.