Simple and delicious, this cheesy bbq chicken dip is going to be requested at get-togethers for years to come!! Using cheesy little rolls, freshly charred chicken and corn, and slightly sweet, slightly smokey sauce, this is an easy summer appetizer. Bake it in the oven, or even better, skip heating the house by baking it on the grill!
This is a sponsored post I wrote in partnership with Brazi Bites. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting Morgan Manages Mommyhood!
While I haven’t mastered things like cookies or cake on the grill, with a decent grill, a little skill, and practice, you can essentially cook anything you would in your oven on your grill.
I’ve roasted garlic and cooked a whole chicken, baked homemade pita and flour tortillas all on the grill. While you might have to monitor it a bit more, the unique flavor a grill offers can’t be beat.
The perfect summer appetizer
With summer in full swing, barbecues and get-togethers with friends and family seem to happen every weekend. And what good is a get-together without some killer eats, amirite?
When I think summer and barbecues I immediately think BBQ chicken which is how I came to this Cheesy BBQ Chicken Dip with Brazi Bites that is perfect to please a crowd!
I partnered up with Brazi Bites on this recipe and they honestly were such an awesome addition. Brazi Bites are the Brazilian treat, Pão de Queijo, a popular snack food made popular by the hit show, Shark Tank.
Bonus: Brazi Bites are naturally gluten-free, come in 4, cheesy flavors, and bake up from frozen in just 20 minutes. While the Cheddar & Parmesan ones are my absolute favorite, Ryan is a big fan of the 3 Cheese Pizza. The Garlic Asiago and Zesty Pepper Jack also didn’t last long in our house!
This dip is pretty versatile. Chicken, corn, cheese and cream cheese combine to make the most decadent dip that everyone will adore, but as always I give you options that can make life a bit easier.
Tips for making BBQ Chicken Dip
- For the chicken, you can easily use pre-shredded chicken that you then chop. But I find that grilling it first really adds a nice smoky barbecue taste.
- After the chicken cools, chop them up well. Bigger chunks make it harder to enjoy as a dip!
- Same goes for the corn. You can easily use canned or defrosted frozen corn. But charring up a fresh corn cob and then using that adds a fresh taste and an additional dash of smoke.
- To make life even easier, you can even assemble the dip itself ahead of time before your guests arrive and then add the Brazi Bites and bake later.
- If you can’t find Brazi Bites, small, frozen rolls would work well also. Place them in the baking dish the same way, but let them rise as per the directions before adding the dip and baking.
- When you’re ready to bake your dip, line a cast iron pan with 2 rows of Brazi Bites before piling you filling into the middle. I found putting the second row on its side created a higher barrier for the dip.
Baking on the Grill
- Before you put your pan on the grill, make sure to get it really hot. Turn all of the burners to high and keep the lid shut.
- If you have a 2 burner grill, turn one side off after 10-15 minutes. Place the pan on the “off” side, leaving the opposite side on medium high. After that, close the lid and leave it alone. You’re basically creating an outdoor oven this way.
- If you have a 3 burner grill, turn off the middle burner and put the side ones to medium. Place the pan on the center burner.
- After 15 minutes you’ll want to turn your pan 180 degrees on a 2 burner grill or 90 degrees on a 3 burner grill. This helps to ensure that the side(s) closest to the fire don’t get too hot or cook uneven.
You can also bake in the oven. Bake at 400 for about 30 minutes, adding cheese on top at the halfway point.
When it’s time to serve, your dip will be brown and bubbly and the Brazi Bites will be puffed and brown. Remove carefully and allow to sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
Brazi Bites Cheesy BBQ Chicken Dip
Cheesy BBQ Chicken Dip
- 2 cups chicken chopped (about 2 breasts)
- 12 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce see notes
- 1.5 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 2 green onions chopped and divided
- 1 corn cob or 1 cup of corn
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Tabasco (or other hot sauce) to taste
- 2 bags Brazi Bites or small frozen rolls
Preheat your grill to high.
Mix the cream cheese and BBQ sauce together until smooth before adding the chopped chicken, 1 cup of cheese, 1 green onion, corn, Tabasco and black pepper.
Line your cast iron with 2 rows of Brazi Bites or rolls** before piling the center with the cream cheese mixture.
Turn one burner off and place your pan on the grill before closing – this creates an “oven” effect. Bake for 15 minutes before turning the pan and topping with remaining cheese. Bake 15 more minutes or until golden and bubbly before removing from the grill carefully.
Allow to sit 10-15 minutes before serving.
-Use a BBQ sauce that isn’t super sweet. Avoid ones with brown sugar or honey in the name. The cream cheese will tone down the heat but not the sweet. -The sweeter your sauce the more Tabasco you’ll want to use to offset it. Start with 3-5 dashes and then taste. -If using frozen yeast rolls, lay in the pan and allow to rise as per the instructions before adding the dip.
Okay so tell me – do you use your grill a lot in the summer? What your favorite get together dish? Are you a Shark Tank addict like myself? Let me know in the comments!
Looking for more grill friendly recipes?
- How to Grill a Whole Chicken
- Summer Berry Grilled Dessert Pizza
- Roasted Garlic Parmesan Chicken BLT and How to Roast Garlic on the Grill
Got a picky eater?
My kids eat their veggies every day without complaining. Want my secret?
Grab the Outsmart your Picky Eater cheat sheets to get the inside scoop on how to add veggies to food your kids already love.