Cereal Snack Mix is a simple sweet and savory treat that uses everyone’s favorite breakfast food – cereal! A mix of nuts, pretzels, and cereal, you won’t be able to stop munching. These pretzels, nuts, Rice Krispies, and foot loops treats with white chocolate are absolutely addictive, and would make a great gift to give any time of year. One of my favorite Froot Loops Recipes, my boys and I love making this together and packing it up in individual bag for snacks or to give away.
Everything is better in a bowl – especially cereal snack mix!
Can we talk bowls for a second? I’m a firm believer that everything is better in a bowl – seriously, I never truly appreciated a good bowl until I became a mom. You thinking I’m making this up? Try eating anything on a plate while standing up and/or chasing toddlers. Go on, I’ll wait. That’s what I thought. Okay, now, try giving one of those toddlers a snack on a plate. It ain’t pretty. In my house, 2/3 of the meals we eat go into a bowl. The other 1/3 ends up dog food on the floor.
Obviously, the best ‘bowl’ food is cereal. Or more specifically, cereal for dessert. You know how it goes – it’s a couple hour after dinner, and you decide you’re still hungry and need a little somethin’-somethin’ to hold you over until morning. Problem is, you’re out of your normal ice cream/cookies/bread with butter (oh, come on, I know you do it too.) But have no fear! You look in your pantry and BOOM. There sits a beautiful box of your favorite cereal and you hear the Hallelujah chorus. You pour yourself a bowl, eat it up, and go to bed with a nice, full belly.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ReimagineYourCereal #CollectiveBias
Well, get ready, because I’m about to take your non-breakfast cereal to the next level and you’re going to love/hate me for it. I give you: Sweet and Savory Cereal Snack Mix. (I’ll wait for your applause)
All of your favorite things, mixed together and coated in white chocolate, this cereal snack mix is sure to please everyone. It just takes a few minutes to assemble before you cool and break it apart, but don’t let that trick you into thinking there is anything average about this.
All about making this Sweet and Savory Cereal Snack Mix
You can use your favorite cereal of choice, but I used 2 boxes – Kellogg’s Froot Loops, 17-ounce box and Rice Krispies, 18-ounce box. I found it to be the perfect combination – the Froot Loops added bulk, crunch, and fruity flavor while the Rice Krispies adhered to almost every bite and brought a fun crispy crunch to the table.
Psssst: got left over cereal and little kiddos? Try making this Construction Truck Edible Sensory Box that uses cereal for a taste safe sensory box.
Let’s talk about the recipe, shall we? Like I said, this recipe is simple pimple, which is perfect if you’re like me and need a tasty snack 30 minutes ago. Add all of your dry ingredients into a big bowl. You can change up your cereal or mix in options, but make sure to keep the amounts pretty similar. I tried to get a good balance of sweet and savory items and this combo hit the nail on the head – the peanut and pretzels were the perfect amount of salty to offset the sweet add-ins and white chocolate.
For this (super customizable!) cereal snack mix recipe, you’ll need:
- Froot Loops
- Rice Krispies
- Pretzel sticks
- White chocolate
This recipe is easily customized to fit your family’s needs by just changing the ingredients around. If you plan to change up the cereal, keep in mind that Rice Krispies tend to take up less room. This means you can for more ‘surface area’ in a cup, so if you use more, you might need more chocolate. Similarly, if you choose to switch it out with something bulkier like Froot Loops or Apple Jacks, make it a generous cup. If breaking up your pretzels or using smaller pretzel options, I would recommend also cutting back on the amount as well.
Looking for another super simple treat for your sweet tooth? Try these: 2-Ingredient Cake Batter Cheesecake Bites
How to make sweet and savory cereal snack mix
- This recipe is super versatile and basically just depends on how much white chocolate you’re using. If you’re playing with the ingredients, I would suggest melting a bit more white chocolate before making to ensure that you have enough.
- Add all of your ingredients to a very large mixing bowl sprayed with non stick spray.
- Melt your white chocolate either in the microwave using the directions on the package or using a double boiler on the stovetop. (you could also use white melting chips for this if you prefer, but I’m a plain white chocolate fan.) Feel free to add more white chocolate even is using the exact recipe if you prefer a thicker layer on your mix.
- Pour white chocolate over your cereal mix and stir, stir, stir until everything is covered. Seriously, use a GIANT bowl for this part.
- Spread evenly onto a prepared cookie sheet and cool. If you’re impatient, toss it into the fridge or freezer to speed it up. Make sure you taste test lots and lots of little bites while it cools until 1/3 of the pan is gone, okay? Mostly this step is to make myself feel better about doing just that while I made this. Enjoy in a bowl (or the container you’re storing it in in small bites through out the day when you think the kids aren’t looking.)
Sweet and Savory Cereal Snack Mix
This sweet and savory cereal snack mix is the perfect balance of sweet and salt to cure that snack time need. Froot loops treats with white chocolate are combined with pretzels, Rice Krispies, chocolates, and nuts to have something in it for everyone!
Sweet and Savory Cereal Snack Mix
Cereal Snack Mix is a simple sweet and savory treat that uses everyone's favorite breakfast food - cereal! A mix of nuts, pretzels, and cereal, you won't be able to stop munching.
- 1 cup Rice Krispies
- 2 generous cups Froot Loops
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 3/4 cup candy coated chocolate candy
- 1 1/2 cups pretzel sticks
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
Combine dry ingredients into a large bowl.
Melt chocolate chips in the microwave or a double boiler and pour over cereal mix. Toss until everything is completely covered.
Pour out onto a prepared cookie sheet - I used foil and non-stick spray but a silicone mat or parchment paper would work.'as well.
Allow to cool completely (use the fridge if you're in a rush) before breaking up gently and enjoying
My leftovers were good after 3 days, but we were out after that, so I have no idea how long they last without going stale past 3 days. But if you’re like me, you’ll be picking at it every night at the kitchen counter and it won’t last too long.
Okay, so tell me – what cereal would you use in this? Do you worship the people who invented the bowl? Let me know in the comments!
You may also like these posts..