If you’re wondering Boppy Vs My Brest Friend Pillow, you’re in the right place. Today we’re highlighting the pros and cons of each nursing pillow,
After nursing 3 babies, I find myself to be a bit of a connoisseur of all things easy breastfeeding. From what to wear to what you need, I’ve tried it all.
But the biggest breastfeeding essential does seem to be a good nursing pillow!
While you can easily use a normal pillow to nurse, which I suggest in my Minimalist Baby Registry post, a nursing pillow makes it more comfortable and easy.
Boppy Vs My Brest Friend Pillow
If you’re looking for a nursing pillow, chances are you’re between the My Brest Friend Pillow or the Boppy. They’re the most popular options, and both have pros and cons.
Let’s dive in so you can make the best decision for you!
Pros of the Boppy:
- Super popular. The Boppy is super popular and probably the most noted and recommended. They had Boppies with disposable covers when Ella was in the NICU. This means there are a lot of resources showing how to use them.
- Lots of colors and styles. Head to Amazon and you’ll see TONS of cute styles and covers – there are even some on Etsy. When talking Boppy Vs My Brest Friend Pillow, this one tips towards Boppy.
- Super washable. Both the cover and the pillow itself are washable, which is helpful for spit up and diaper blow outs. They even make a protective cover to put underneath the normal cover that is water-resistant.
- Multiuse. I was able to use it as a baby prop for tummy time of just hanging out which is nice.
Cons of the Boppy:
- Not very comfortable. Personally, I never found the Boppy to be the most comfortable. I definitely felt like it wasn’t thick enough so I have to put another pillow underneath it to prop it up.
- One size fits most. The concept of the Boppy is great, but if you’re bigger (or postpartum!) the “opening” on the pillow can seem or feel small.
- Not super thick/loses fluff. Again, I felt like I needed to pop an extra pillow underneath to make it the right height. In fact, in the hospital they used 2 pillows PLUS a Boppy to position the baby. I also felt that over time it lost some density.
The My Brest Friend is a non traditional pillow that wraps around the back and attaches with a buckle.
Pros of My Brest Friend:
- Super sturdy. My Brest Friend is made of firm foam and so study. This means I never felt like I had to adjust a ton throughout feedings. It also meant that the more I use it, I don’t feel it “wearing out”.
- Adjustable. There is a buckle for this that wraps around you back but it’s adjustable for different shapes and women. So it will fit postpartum and as you lose the baby weight comfortably.
- Stays put. My FAVORITE part about this pillow is that it buckles so it stays put. When I’m thinking Boppy Vs My Brest Friend Pillow, it’s my tipping point. I can lean back while wearing it on my bed or the couch and it doesn’t budge. I’ve walked around with it around my waist.
- Buckle. Again, there is a buckle that wraps around your back and clicks so the pillow stays put. No fiddling to reposition, etc.
- Supports. There are bumps on the top of the pillow that can be used to support baby’s head.
- Pocket. My other favorite thing about this one is that there’s a pocket attached to the front of the pillow. This is great for holding water, tissues, your phone, etc.
Cons of My Brest Friend:
- Bulky. It’s definitely large. It could also be a pro (lots of room for the baby) but traveling with it would be tough since it’s large.
- Can be hard to wash. The cover does come off to wash, but I don’t know of any way to actually wash the pillow itself. So if baby spits up on it and you don’t get to it quick enough it could be an issue. I usually use a spray on it if that happens.
- I did find when writing this post that they now offer a washable, waterproof slipcover to put under the normal cover.
- Not as many colors to choose form. The patterns aren’t super cute or varied. Again, not a huge problem. but compared to the Boppy options it’s a bummer.
So which wins: Boppy Vs My Brest Friend Pillow
This is 100% a personal thing. I would highly suggest asking friends and trying out both or asking your LC if she has a recommendation.
With my first, I had just a Boppy. With my second, I had my previous Boppy and bought a my Brest Friend. With my third I was starting from scratch and went with the My Brest Friend.
Personally, I love the ease of it, how solid and large it is, and that it buckles around the back. I find it more support and comfortable, hands down.