These Back to School Songs are perfect for celebrating a new school year. Play these songs for the first day of school in the classroom or to get your own kids excited for the new year. We’ve added some fun kid options as well as more modern, pop choices!
I realized the other day that on this site I have nearly 30 kid friendly song playlists! It should be no shock that I use music in our home to celebrate near on every occasion. Case in point, I’ve made kids friendly playlists for kids country music, hip hop for kids, rock and roll, kids dance music. There are also summer songs, unicorn songs, and train songs. The list is unending!!
Like any mom, I love the first day of school. Not only is it fun for my kids, but it’s a much-needed reprieve after a summer together.
When Ir realized I hadn’t shared a list for songs for going back to school, I knew it was something I needed to add1
The Best Songs for Back to School
If you’re looking for some fun tunes to listen to on the first day, look no further. We’ve got you covered with this list of over 20 back to school songs the whole family (or classroom!) will love.
- Education – the Kinks – I love rock music and alternative rock. Even more, I love the message of this song, stating how important it is for everyone to get an education.
- Another Brick in the Wall – Pink Flloyd. This old school rock song might not be the most glowing review of education, but I’d be remiss not to add it!
- School Days – Chuck Berry. Nothing gets you dancing the way an old school Chuck Berry song does! THis one goes through a whole day perfectly, expressing the feelings and experiences.
- That’s What I learned in School Today – Peter Seeger. Another old song, this one features a father asking his son what he learned, and the son telling his dad all of the things he learned, mostly about America, American history, and American values in the 60’s.
- Graduation – Vitamin C. Honetsly, if you went to school in the 90’s it impossible that you didn’t hear this song at the end of every single school year. It’s a classic.
More First Day of School Songs
Education – Bruno Mars Cover. This one is way too cute to exist! If you love the song Grenade by Bruno Mars, you’ll love this song that uses that as it’s basis to explain the need to educate yourself.
Rock and Roll High School – the Ramones. Got an old school rock and punk lover? This one is for you. While it’s definitely NOT classroom safe in that it straight up says, “I hate the teachers, hate the principal,” it’s still a fun song to get you pumped.
We Rule the School – Belle and Sebastian. This is a much calmer song, but it’s great for calming first day jitters!
What I Go to School For – Jonas Brothers. Okay, so this one is technically about going to school because you have a crush on a hot upper classman, but I mean, isn’t that true for most of us at some point in our high school career?
We’re All in This Together – High School Musical. I’d be remiss if I didn’t add in this classic. I mean, the movie it’s from is literally all about the high school experience.
Welcome Back to School – Dwayne Reed. Written by a duo of teachers, this fun rap jam is perfect for the first day of school.
- Young Dumb and Broke – Khalid – I love this song because it’s a fun, clean hip hop song, but also becuase who doesn’t remember the amazing days of being a “young dumb broke highshcool kid”?
- High School – Kelsea Ballerini. If your looking for a reminder of what life was like in high school and the people who can’t seem to leave, this is a great country song for kids that fits the bill.
- Schoolin’ Life – Beyonce – While Queen B might be teaching the older generations, she teaches some lessons in this dance song that humans of all ages need to hear.
- I Can – Nas. An anthem for staying in school and living a drug free life, this is the perfect song to play for kids on the first day of school.
- We’re going to be friends – White Stripes. This is the PERFECT first day song for kids of all ages, clearly explaining the dynamic of meeting a new friend.
- Back to School – Billy Madison. If you remember this movie, you’ve probably had this song stuck in your head more than a few times in your life!
Kid’s Back to School Songs
Looking for some more kiddie versions of the first day of school songs? I’ve got you there as well. These are great for welcoming kids into your classroom in September or just before getting your kids onto the bus!
- Back to School Song -Mother Goose Club
- Welcome Back to School
- First Day of School – CocoMelon
- Welcome to School – Maths n Me
- First Day of School Song – Bright Little Ones
- The Welcome Song – the Kiboomers
- First Day of School – Finny the shark
- First Day of School – Raptain Hook
Leave a Reply