Packed with freshly grated fruit and a healthy dose of spice, this Apple Cinnamon pancakes recipe will win the whole family. A fun fall breakfast, these apple packed flapjacks are a better for you way to start a cool. They contain no refined sugar, so you can enjoy this fun fall treat with zero guilt!
An Apple Picking Bounty
There is nothing that screams fall more to me than going apple picking.
Traipsing through a cool orchard in flannel and boots (I’m pretty sure that’s the required uniform and they won’t let you in otherwise.) Smelling fresh autumn air tinged with the smell of the apples that fell early fermenting.
Trying to find a tree that no one has gone over with a fine-toothed comb. Grabbing a cup of cider and a fresh made apple cider donut – it’s a magical experience.
But the absolute best part about apple picking is the bounty you bring home. If you’re like me, you probably go overboard and get WAY too many apples.
Which brings us to this apple cinnamon pancake recipe! When cooked, apples caramelize and add a fresh sweetness to everything the touch. They ley us add a touch of that sweetness without going overboard.
Want more breakfast options? Check out this post: Easy Breakfast Recipes for Kids
Tips for Making Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
- Substitute the milk and vinegar combo for buttermilk. It is definitely easier and tastier, but we rarely keep buttermilk stocked on hand, so I usually end up doing milk/vinegar.
- Any apple is great for this! Just use a large size on your box grater. You can also toss the apple chucks into your food processor and grate them that way.
- Use the juice that comes from the apples as well. I usually grate the apple directly into the bowl – less dishes and you don’t lose the liquid.
- Feel free to use whole wheat flour – you may need to add a but more liquid if using.
Want to sneak in some veggies?
Replace some of the apple with grated zucchini or yellow squash. Since your kids are expecting the extra texture to some extent and there is so much flavor in the apple pancakes, they’ll never know, but you’ll love knowing you’re serving healthy pancakes.
Apple Cinnamon Pancake Recipe
If you enjoy this recipe, please remember to vote 5 stars! It helps others find it, and makes my day!
Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
Packed with freshly grated apples and a healthy dose of cinnamon, these Apple Cinnamon pancakes will be a win with the whole family.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- .5 teaspoon baking soda
- .25 teaspoon salt
- .5 tablespoon cinnamon
- .75 cup .75 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 large apple grated
- 1 egg
Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
Add in milk until the juice and milk mixture makes 3/4 cup. Stir in vinegar and allow to curdle for at least 5 minutes before adding in the butter, honey, and egg and stirring. Fold the wet mixture into the dry mixture until no more dry spots are seen. The batter will be lumpy, do not over mix.
Grate your apple on a plate using a box grater. Squeeze excess liquid from the apples into a measuring cup and set aside drained, grated apple. A
- Heat a greased pan and pour about 1/4 cup of batter into the pan. Cook about 2-3 minutes until bubbles form in the center of the pancake and flip. Cook another 2-3 minutes. Enjoy!
So tell me – do lazy mornings make you think of pancakes? Are you team apple or team pumpkin? Let me know in the comments!
If you liked these apple cinnamon pancakes you may also like..
Got a picky eater?
My kids eat their veggies every day without complaining. Want my secret?
Grab the Outsmart your Picky Eater cheat sheets to get the inside scoop on how to add veggies to food your kids already love.